Monday, October 22, 2007

Journal

Having never completely viewed one of the most famous movies in all of film history, this journal gave me an excellent excuse to watch the old, dusty copy of The Wizard of Oz (1939). I have only watched snippets of the movie on television and heard it referenced tens of hundreds of times throughout my life. So now finally, i have watched the film start to finish and am now Oz literate.

Directed by Victor Fleming, The Wizard of Oz as everyone knows is about a girl named Dorothy who is played by the hometown hero Minnesotan Judy Garland. As the story progresses and the plot expands, I began to realize in my own basement that my body was the only thing actually in my bottom floor, my head and imagination had long dissapeared into simpler times; my childhood. I have heard somewhere that The Wizard of Oz brings out the child in everyone who watches it, a detail I have never lived until now.

Just like how a war movie can take your thoughts into a defferent realm, or a sad song captures your fellings about a topic, and even how a sighint of toy flys a person off to a different time in thier life, the Oz did this to me. A fantasy land that i dreamed of as a child, floated into my mind like a mirage in my slummy basement.

Victor Fleming used sound extensively in the film throughout. Whether it was the flying monkeys, or the sound of Dorothy's voice while she skipped to the castle, the music and sound, in my opinion took center stage in the impressive category for the flick. The sound effects of the characters and the witches really made the movie of that time period stick out to me as one ahead of its time. and also make it a movie still referenced over 60 years later.

1 comment:

Buzz Stephens said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, There is an exciting and popular group on Yahoo called The Judy Garland Experience. The group has a wealth of rare photo and audio treasures that are changed weekly. This week, along with ultra rare radio appearances and never heard outtakes from A Star Is Born, they are featuring Judy's 1965 performance at The Greek Theater, as well as her June 25, 1968 opening night performance at The Garden State Arts Center. And if thats not enough they are featuring a vintage performance of Liza Minnelli on The Joey Bishop Show, as well as some live Lena Horne recordings.
There are also fascinating discussions going on at all times.
The Judy Garland Experience is the largest Garland group in the world and its membership includes Garland family members, other celebrities, historians, film makers, authors, and fans of all levels, the only one missing is you!
Please stop by and check out our little Judyville, you may never want to leave?
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/